Thursday, March 22, 2007

Once Upon A Prenuptial Jingle....

by Cazzie!!! of I Don't Do Mornings


Once Upon A Prenuptial Jingle....

There I was, minding my own business, skiing through the course I set out for myself down the face of the mountain. The mountain, in Spring, was covered with scrub and flowers of all colors. Now, in Winter, it was covered with a thick mush of pure white glistening snow. As I came around the last of the tree stumps I was using as markers on my descent, I could see a flash of bright red out of my left eye. I came to a halt, not a gracious one at that...I assed it, head over titt and ended up with a gob full of snow.

A strong hand proceeded to embrace me and stand me upright on my skiis once again. It took a minute to focus, I was looking into the hazel eyes of a gorgeous young man. He seemed, perplexed somewhat, his facial expression said it all..."What are you doing out here on your own? Don't you know there is a storm headed this way?" ...I got myself together, " Oh, no, it all looked fine on the weather radar when I researched it prior to heading out the door of the chalet". " Well, things change rather fast at times. You better come with me and we can hunker down in shelter over there" , pointing over to a tree. " There, under a tree? Isn't that a bit silly?", I said incredulously. " Well, no, not really, you oughta observe your surroundings before coming to such a conclusion. Look beyond what IS". " Huh! " I exclamimed. " Well", he proceeded, " Behind that there tree is the entrance to a cave. We can stay there until the storm passes and there are supplies enough for four people to stay there for up to three days before they truly would have to venture out". " Oh, well then, we better get moving", I said.

Down the valley to the right I could see a very thick fog approaching. We made it to the tree, he pushed aside the branches and let me through before him. I found myself in a pitch black, damp smelling cave of some sort. He turned on his flashlight, it illuminated a hole about 6 foot deep by 3 foot wide. There was a metal box, not locked. He opened it and took out a small tin. " Sit down there, take your skiis off and sit them outside the entrance there", he said. I did as he asked, all the while watching what he was doing. He light a firelighter and placed it under the metal box that was now opened up into a little stove. A can of beans was placed over the flame. " I hope you like beans, it is all we have to eat", ..."Yes, that's fine by me", I said.

"So, what is your name then? ...Oh saviour of mine" I asked chidingly. " You first, ladies first", he said laughing. "I am Tuscany." " What a lovely name. I am Steve, my mates call me Stevo", he said. "My pleasure indeed", I said, feeling like a drongo from the way my response came out. Oh poop I thought to myself, me and my big mouth. Stevo must have read my mind, right then he handed me a cup with some beans in it. " Eat this, it will keep you warm and take our minds away from the storm". I had all but forgotten the storm until he mentioned it, I was under his spell..it seemed.

"So, do you live close to this area then Tuscany?" " No, actually, I am from the Northern Territory, I come here every Winter. I love to ski and I love to explore the place. There is something about this area. It captures your imagination. The smell of the gum trees, the sounds of the wildlife, the colors of the rock areas and the trillion stars you can see on a clear night". " Hmmm, yes, I think the same thing. I too love it here, that is why I am a Park Ranger here", Steve said, resting his gloved hand on my shoulder. I looked up into his eyes again, I began to feel tired. "Oh well, I guess I best try to nap for a little while Steve, the fresh air is making me most tired".

With that, I sat down and rested my head against the wall of the cave. I fell asleep and began to dream the dream that I had been having for the last few nights, that repetitive dream.... I am a little girl again, my dad is leaving, mum is crying, my brother is running after dad's car...I hide in a cupboard, it is the only place I felt safe....I awaken screaming, Steve is there holding me close. " Oh sorry," I say all embarrased. " That's ok Tuscany, no worries"...

Skip ahead a few months, a few months after the storm that brought Steve and I together... until his mates tracked us out and got us home safe from the Winter chill. Reportedly, it was the worst storm in a century, six foot of snow on that mountain. I am walking down the main street of our dusty Outback town, holding my horses' reigns. I hear a voice, "Heya Tuscany". It was a voice I knew, but then again, could not place. I turn around and meet his eyes, Steve it was!!! I fainted right then and there. I came to after a minute of lying flat, those strong hands supporting me once again, un-gloved this time.

" Wow, I never thought I'd see you again", I said. " Well, here I am, and I need to ask you a question....will you marry me Tuscany?" " Wh wh what? But of course I will Steve". He whips out a piece of paper from beneath his Akoubra hat. He starts to sing a little song,

" Tuscany since we met that cold snowy day,
I can't get you outta my mind,
The thought of your soft warm embrace makes me feel oh sooo fine,
We've got two strong hearts,
We stick together like the honey to the bee,
You and me. "

I begin to laugh, and Stevo is still singing his little jingle. "Honey to the bee", I kept giggling like a school girl, "Who could say no to that Steve, of course I will marry you, so long as you stick to being a Ranger and not a karaoke singer that is". Life was never the same again, from the first day I met Steve, that stormy day months before.

2 comments:

Cap'n Neurotic said...

As soon as I saw the word "drongo, I thought to myself "Gee, I'm betting Cazzie isn't from around these parts . . ." :)

I liked the detail you gave to Tuscany's dream, thought that was a nice touch.

Cazzie!!! said...

Thanks very much mate, I enjoyed having a go at writing a short story. This wek has been hard pressed for time and with 4 kids and all that the story was not given my full attention :(
I read ALOT and my kids do too, something has to rub off on them :) I plan on showing my eldest boy the stories I write, he may just get the urge to write his own anecdotes then.